Minneapolis, Minn – Texas Rangers right-handed pitcher Yu Darvish was scratched from starting today against the Minnesota Twins. He reported stiffness in his neck this morning after waking up in his hotel room. He said the pain in his neck was similar to what he felt back during spring training.
If you don’t recall, during spring training.
Yu Darvish scratched from Opening Day start. To see neck/back specialist Dr. Drew Dossett tomorrow. #Rangers
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) March 25, 2014
- March 24 (Monday)- Yu Darvish experienced stiffness in his neck. No announcements were made, staff gave it another day.
- March 25 – After a day of rest, his neck was still stiff. Darvish said the problem was from sleeping wrong.
- March 26 – MRI performed on Darvish shows no structural damage.
- March 30 (Sunday) – He was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21. He was scratched from Opening day. This was his second time on the DL, first was July 7-22, 2013 for right trapezius strain.
- April 6 (Sunday)- Made his 2014 season debut against the Tampa Bay Rays.
- May 27 (Tuesday) – Scratched from starting against the Twins – neck stiffness
- Updated: May 27 – MRI reviewed by Dr. Dossett. The MRI indicates no structural damage.
If things trend like last time, it is likely that Darvish will be on the 15-day disabled list again. Last time Darvish spent time in Arlington to rest and rehab his neck. He started off by playing catch at the ballpark and eventually moved up to throwing a couple of bullpen sessions before he made his first start.
That could be the same routine the Texas Rangers use this time. Even if the MRI is again negative, they will likely be very careful with him. That should be expected since they have already lost Martin Perez and Matt Harrison to season ending injuries which resulted in surgeries.
Yu Darvish is having another great season. He has a record of 4-2 with a 2.35 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and 71 strikeouts over 9 starts(61 1/3 innings). When Darvish starts a game, the Rangers have won 7 of the 9 games he’s started. Right how the Rangers are on a roll since the players meeting and have a record of 6-2. If Darvish is out for an extended amount of time, this could slow their momentum.