Texas Rangers Roundup – April 29, 2014
Mar 18, 2014; Surprise, AZ, USA; Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington looks on against the Chicago Cubs at Surprise Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
ARLINGTON, Tex. -The Texas Rangers dropped the first of a 3-game homestand series against the Oakland Athletics yesterday 4-0. Tonight’s game will 2 of the American League’s top 3 in ERA, Texas Rangers’ LHP Martin Perez (1.42) and Oakland Athletics LHP Scott Kazmir (1.62) and should ensure a great pitching match up. Here’s your Rangers Roundup.
TEXAS RANGERS: (15-11, .577)
- After last night’s loss to the A’s the Texas Rangers are now ranked 2nd in A.L. West
- The Rangers are 1 of 8 MLB teams that have yet to lose more than 2 in a row (only Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees in A.L.)
- Texas Rangers now have 6 consecutive seasons with a record above .500 through 26 games
- The Rangers have the all-time series lead with the A’s (327-314)
- HAPPY SWEET 62 Ron Washington!!
- The club is 0-5 all-time when playing on Washington’s birthday since his tenure (Let’s win this one for Wash boys!)
- Texas Rangers’ t.v. commentator Tom Grieve‘s son, Ben Grieve (who attended high school in Arlington and played for the A’s), tied Oakland Athletics record on this day in 1998 by going a perfect 5 for 5 with 4 runs scored in the A’s 11-4 win over the Cleveland Indians
- Last night was the first time the Texas was shutout this season
- Just the 4th time in last 6 years (2009-2014) for an opposing starter to blank Texas on 3-hits-or-less
- Rangers are a combined 20-22 against Oakland Athletics since start of 2012
- Last night marked Adrian Beltre‘s 2,216 games played at third base breaking a tie with Wade Boggs for the 4th-most games at 3rd by ANY player in MLB history
- His 11 seasons of 20+ home runs by a third baseman trail only to Hall of Famers Eddie Mathews (14) and Mike Schmidt (13), along with Chipper Jones (12)
YU STILL GOT IT:
- Yu Darvish has a 30-19 record to open his major league career (Elias Sports Bureau)
- Darvish is 1-7 against the A’s, but 29-12 vs. all other teams (A’s go away!)
- According to Elias Sports Bureau Yu Darvish is first MLB pitcher since 1941 (Hugh Casey) to win at least 30 of his first 50 decisions but lose at least 7 of those 50 decisions to a SINGLE TEAM.
- Darvish made a club-record 56 consecutive qualifying starts (5.0 IP) before last night (3.1), breaking Nolan Ryan‘s 37-game streak (1989-1990)
- Only 2 major leaguers who have a longer active streaks are Cole Hamels (76) and Clayton Kershaw (66) (I think that’s good company)
- Since the designated hitter era began (1973) there has only been 15 streaks by A.L. pitchers longer than Yu Darvish’s
- Nick Martinez made his 3rd career appearance last night
- Martinez pitched 5.0 shutout innings in his first career relief outing
- He is just 1 of 5 pitchers since 2007-2014 with at least 5.0 shutout innings in relief within his first 3 career outings
- Nick Martinez is only the 4th Ranger in the last 17 years with at least 5.0 shutout innings in relief
ON DECK FOR TOMORROW:
- Last game of the series will pin Texas Rangers’ LHP Robbie Ross (1-1, 2.45) against Oakland Athletics’ RHP Jesse Chavez (1-0, 2.32)
- You can tune in to FSSW/ 570 AM/ 1540 AM for first pitch at 7:05 p.m. (CDT)
That’ll do it for today’s edition of Rangers Roundup. As always, feel free to leave any comments or suggestions below. And be sure to Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter for all your Texas Rangers news, views and highlights.