Texas Rangers Roundup – May 2, 2014
Apr 18, 2014; Arlington, TX, USA; Texas Rangers starting pitcher Martin Perez (33) wipes his face after getting a shaving cream pie after defeating the Chicago White Sox 12-0 at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Mandatory Credit: Jim Cowsert-USA TODAY Sports
ANAHEIM, Cal. – After having a day off yesterday the Texas Rangers begin a 5-game roadtrip tonight with a 3-game series against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The Texas Rangers will wrap up the roadtrip in a short 2-game series at Colorado Rockies. RHP Colby Lewis (1-1, 4.60) will start for the Rangers and LHP Hector Santiago (0-4, 4.44) gets the nod for the Angels. Here’s the Rangers Roundup for what you need to know going into tonight’s game.
TEXAS RANGERS: (15-13, .536)
- Texas Rangers are now ranked 2nd (3.0 GB) behind the Oakland Athletics after the 3-game series loss
- The Rangers have now dropped 4 in a row after winning at Seattle Mariners on 4/26/14
- Texas Rangers hold 2nd-longest current losing streak in MLB (Cleveland Indains – 6)
- This marks Texas’ longest losing streak since 7 straight in 9/9-16/2013
- The Rangers’ 6 game home run drought is 2nd-longest in the American League
- The Texas Rangers remain only 1 of 2 teams (San Diego Padres) in MLB with no player having at least 13 RBI this season
PLAYER OF THE MONTH: Martin Perez (4-1, 2.95)
- With a unanimous vote by the team’s regular writers and broadcasters, the Texas Rangers named Martin Perez their Player of the Month
- Perez’ accomplishments for the month of April: led MLB in shutouts (2), A.L. in completed games (2), and innings pitched (42.2), tied the league-lead for wins (4)
- Martin Perez is the first pitcher to win the award since Joe Nathan and (are you ready for it???) Neal Cotts (not a typo) shared the honor in June 2013
- CONGRATULATIONS PEREZ, WELL DESERVED!!!
THAT’S A WRAP: April
- End of April record: 15-12, after losing ONLY game in March (the season opener)
- Texas Rangers still hold best April record in MLB since 2011-2014 (65-31, .637)
- Batting average in April was .256, the lowest since 2010
- The team had only 13 homers in April, the fewest since 1991 (13)!!
- Texas Rangers had a 3.92 ERA making 5th straight April with a sub-4.00 ERA since 1997
- Tonight’s game is first meeting between Texas Rangers and Los Angels Angels of the season
- Texas Rangers were 15-4 vs. Angels in 2013, Texas’ most wins EVER against LAA in a season and T2nd-most wins EVER against any opponent in one campaign
- Rangers won the last 5 games after a loss at Angel Stadium on 9/17/13
- Texas won 12 of last 14 meetings beginning 4/24/13
- Texas Rangers hold a 57-38 record vs. Los Angeles Angels since start of 2009, winning 4 of 5 season’s series in that span
- They won 6 of 9 games at Angel Stadium a year ago and are 17-11 past 3 years
- Texas had .302 (201-666) team average against the Angels with 26 homers and 115 runs scored in 19 games last year
- The 26 home runs were Texas Rangers’ most versus ANY opponents
- Elvis Andrus has hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games vs. Los Angeles Angels at .409
- Andrus’ .333 career average at Angel Stadium matches 4th-highest all-time among players with at least 175 at bats
GOOD WITH LEFTIES:
- Texas’ .295 team average vs. LHP in 2014 is the 2nd-highest in the A.L. and 5th-best in the majors
- Texas Rangers have 3 of the A.L.’s top 6 qualifiers in average vs. southpaws: Josh Wilson (3rd, .435), Shin-Soo Choo (4th, .417), and Alex Rios (9th, .406)
- Texas Rangers currently have 10 on the disable list, a MLB-high
- RHP Tanner Scheppers threw 75 ft. in the 2nd day of his throwing program today and will progress to 90 ft. on Saturday
- LHP Joe Saunders is rehabbing from a stress fracture on his left ankle is scheduled to throw 3.0 innings today in an extended spring training game
- INF Kevin Kouzmanoff met with Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles today and according to Jeff Passan is scheduled to have surgery on Tuesday and is expected to be out 8-12 weeks, we all wish Kouz a safe surgery and a speedy recovery!
ON DECK FOR TOMORROW:
- LHP Matt Harrison (0-0, 3.00) vs. RHP Garrett Richards (2-0, 2.53)
- You can tune in to FSSW/ 103.3 FM/ 1540 AM at 8:05 p.m. (CDT)
As always, please leave any questions or suggestions in the comments below, I would LOVE to hear from you!
Be sure to Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter for all your Texas Rangers news, views, and highlights.