Well it looks like the Athletics are really serious about winning the World Series in 2014. For the first time in a long while, Billy Bean is not playing for the future, he is playing for right now. As you can see in the tweets above from Jon Heyman, The A’s have traded Yoenis Cespedes to the Boston Red Sox for Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes.
More from Texas Rangers News
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
- Is a six-man rotation in the Texas Rangers’ near future?
Since the Rangers are not competing for the AL West crown this season, I say go for it Oakland. I hope that this trade somehow weakens them for the 2015 season, but it is hard to see how. Jon Lester should make a good rotation even better, and while Gomes is no Cespedes, he is still a good player.
Jon Lester is 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA in 2014, just the player the rest of the American League needed Oakland to get. The A’s are most assuredly playing to win it all in 2014, and their window is wide open right now. They were already considered to be the best team in the AL, and maybe in the majors, and now that has just improved.
It should be interesting to see if any other moves are made today, but this is a huge one in my opinion!