HAPPY TEXAS RANGERS OPENING DAY!
The wait is finally over! Tonight we get to watch our Texas Rangers take the field against the Oakland Athletics. The Rangers play a four-game series before they head back to Arlington for the home opener on April 10. But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We still have to beat the A’s before we get to Arlington! I’m so excited to once again be writing a Rangers Roundup on game day!
- The Texas Rangers have an Opening Day record of 21-22, losing two in a row after they won 4 straight (2009-2012).
- This opening series is the 2nd time in the last three years for the Rangers to open the season on the road.
- In 44 seasons since moving to Texas this the only the 20th time in club history to open a season away from Arlington.
- Tonight also marks the 2nd time in 3 years to play an Opening Day game at night.
- Texas is 19-24 all-time in their first road game of a season.
ALL ABOUT THE A’s:
- Tonight will be the 4th time the Texas Rangers have played the Oakland Athletics in a season opener.
- Rangers have lost all three previous openers, 7-2 loss in Arlington (1974), 8-3 loss at Oakland Athletics (2002) and a 5-4 loss in Oakland (2004).
- Texas won the 2014 season series going 10-9 against the A’s, making it their first series win since 2011.
- Rangers are 12-5 in last 17 games at the Coliseum.
- The Texas Rangers and Oakland Athletics face each other 6 times this season, but won’t meet again until May.
- Yovani Gallardo is making his 6th consecutive Opening Day start, but it is his first in a Rangers uniform.
- He is one of 5 Major League pitchers to start in just as many seasons – Felix Hernandez, C.C. Sabathia, Justin Verlander and Jered Weaver – only Gallardo, King Felix and Weaver are set to start in this season’s openers.
- Gallardo joins Nolan Ryan as the only two pitchers to start for the Texas Rangers on Opening Day.
- He is also only the 6th pitcher to make his Rangers debut as the Opening Day starter – Jon Matlack (1978), Craig Lefferts (1993), Ken Hill (1996), Chan Ho Park (2002) and Kevin Millwood (2006).
ROSTER IS SET:
- The Texas Rangers have 8 players returning from last year’s Opening Day roster to this season’s OD roster – Elvis Andrus (7th straight Opening Day start at SS), Adrian Beltre (14th consecutive Opening Day start), Robinson Chirinos, Shin-Soo Choo, Prince Fielder, Leonys Martin, Mitch Moreland and Shawn Tolleson.
- Rangers have 7 players looking to make their Texas debuts – Anthony Bass, Carlos Corporan, Delino DeShields, Ross Detwiler, Yovani Gallardo, Keone Kela and Logan Verrett.
- There are 9 players on an Opening Day roster for the first time – Delino DeShields, Keone Kela, Phil Klein, Nick Martinez, Roman Mendez, Rougned Odor, Ryan Rua, Jake Smolinksi and Logan Verrett.
- 6 are rookies – DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smo and Verrett.
- DeShields, Kela and Verrett are seeking their Major League debuts.
- Both Delino DeShields and Logan Verrett are Rule 5 Draft picks.
MOVES THAT MADE THE 25-MAN ROSTER:
- Rangers purchased the contracts of right-handed pitchers Anthony Bass and Keone Kela from Round Rock (AAA).
- Designated LHP Sam Freeman for assignment.
- Placed four players on the 15-day disabled list – LHP Matt Harrison (spinal fusion surgery), RHP Tanner Scheppers (ankle sprain), RHP Lisalverto Bonilla (right elbow impingement) and RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (right groin strain).
- Placed Yu Darvish on the 60-day DL
OPENING DAY LINEUPS:
TEXAS RANGERS: RHP Yovani Gallardo (0-0, –)
- Leonys Martin CF
- Elvis Andrus SS
- Prince Fielder 1B
- Adrian Beltre 3B
- Shin-Soo Choo RF
- Ryan Rua LF
- Mitch Moreland DH
- Robinson Chirinos C
- Rougned Odor 2B
OAKLAND ATHLETICS: RHP Sonny Gray (0-0, –)
- Craig Gentry CF
- Sam Fuld RF
- Ben Zobrist LF
- Billy Butler DH
- Ike Davis 1B
- Brett Lawrie 3B
- Stephen Vogt C
- Marcus Semien SS
- Eric Sogard 2B
ON DECK FOR TOMORROW:
Here we go. It’s time to watch our Texas Rangers play ball y’all!!
NEVER. EVER. QUIT.