Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros: Fast Facts
THE STARS AT NIGHT ARE BIG AND BRIGHT, DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS
The Texas Rangers host the Houston Astros for their three-game home series opener. Today’s game marks the start of the battle for the Silver Boot – I can’t stand this name will someone please come up with another name? Here are some quick facts about how the two clubs have matched up in the past. Don’t worry Rangers fans, we come out on top.
TEXAS RANGERS vs. HOUSTON ASTROS
- Astros won the Boot for the first time since 2006 last season.
- Rangers beat the Astros 7 consecutive seasons (2007-2013) to win the Silver Boot.
- The Texas Rangers have the all-time series advantage having a record of 67-43.
- Texas has won 20 of last 26 and is 30-12 vs. Houston at the Ballpark in Arlington since 2005.
DEREK HOLLAND vs. ASTROS
- Holland has a record of 3-1 with a 3.42 ERA (18 ER/46.0 IP) over 7 career game starts vs. Astros
- Has won two straight against Houston.
- In Arlington, Holland is 3-0, 2.15 (7 ER/29.1 IP) in 4 starts.
- On 9/23/13 at home, he threw a CG Shutout allowing only 6 hits.
- He defeated Houston in his only game start at home vs. ‘Stros in 2014 (9/22).
More from Texas Rangers News
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
- Is a six-man rotation in the Texas Rangers’ near future?
Derek Holland has a career record of 27-19 with an ERA of 4.67 at the Ballpark. Astros starter Collin McHugh has a lone win against Texas (8/28/14) but has yet to pitch at the Ballpark in Arlington. Holland has faced every batter in the Astros lineup except for Springer and Gattis whereas McHugh has only seen 5 of our players. My only concern for Holland is Altuve who has a career average of .347 against left-handed pitchers, although Lowrie is batting .667 (3 AB/2 H) this season.
Either way, this should be a fun series to watch. I’m excited to see Holland back on the mound at home and in the home opener. Here are today’s starting lineups with batting averages against the pitchers if they have faced off before.
TEXAS RANGERS: LHP Derek Holland
- Leonys Martin CF (.500)
- Shin-Soo Choo RF
- Adrian Beltre 3B (.333)
- Prince Fielder 1B
- Ryan Rua LF
- Mitch Moreland DH
- Elvis Andrus SS (.500)
- Rougned Odor 2B (.000)
- Robinson Chirinos C (.667)
HOUSTON ASTROS: RHP Collin McHugh
- Jose Altuve 2B (.286)
- George Springer RF
- Jed Lowrie SS (.190)
- Evan Gattis DH
- Chris Carter 1B (.235)
- Jonathan Villar 3B (.143)
- Jason Castro C (.667)
- Robbie Grossman LF (.333)
- Jake Marisnick CF (.200)
ON DECK FOR TOMORROW:
Texas Rangers RHP Yovani Gallardo vs. Houston Astros RHP Roberto Hernandez at 7:05 p.m. (CDT).
Even though I don’t feel there is a true rivalry between the two teams or the fanbase, I think there is a friendly competition. After all there is nothing quite like Texas Pride, right?