Texas Rangers Roundup: Rubber Match With Astros
Entering today’s game the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros are tied 1-1 in first series of the season. The Rangers and Astros play 19 more times before the winner of the Silver Boot Trophy is declared. However, a win today would mean Texas won the first series, which gives Rangers fans bragging rights until they meet again in May.
TEXAS RANGERS: (3-3, .500)
- Entering today’s game Texas is tied with Oakland Athletics for 1st place in American League West.
- The Rangers have not been tied with the A’s for first since April 27, 2014.
- This is the 8th consecutive season for the Texas Rangers to be .500-or-better through 6 games.
- Texas went 7-9 in rubber games last year but winning 4 of the last 5.
- The Texas Rangers have won 13 of last 15 series against the Astros at the Ballpark.
- Since the start of 2012 Texas has posted 52-29 record in April.
- Delino DeShields makes his first major league start today and is batting 9th in the lineup.
- DeShields entered Saturday’s game as a pinch-runner and recorded the first stolen base for Rangers this season.
- His stolen base was also his first career stolen base.
More from Nolan Writin'
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Where do Texas Rangers prospects Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker stand after the DeGrom signing?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
ALL ABOUT BELTRE:
- Adrian Beltre doubled and tripled last night, 4 of his 5 hits have been for extra bases.
- Beltre’s 4 extra base hits ranks T3rd in the American League and is team-high.
- He is on a 3-game hit streak, with an extra base hit and run scored in all three games.
- Since 2012 Beltre has an average of .359 and is slugging .677 against the Astros.
- The Texas Rangers bullpen posted 3.1 scoreless innings in last night’s win.
- Last night marked the 2nd game of 2015 for Rangers bullpen to go scoreless.
- Shawn Tolleson is the only bullpen pitcher this season to who has not allowed a run.
- Colby Lewis has won four straight against the Houston Astros.
- He is the first Rangers pitcher to win four straight against the ‘Stros, EVER.
- In 10 games/7 game starts against Houston Colbra has gone 5-1, with an ERA of 1.54, allowing only 9 earned runs.
- Right-handed pitcher Stolmy Pimentel was activated on the Texas Rangers’ 25-man roster.
- Right-handed pitcher Jon Edwards was optioned back to Triple-A Round Rock Express.
Today’s game is slated to start at 2:05 p.m. (CDT). Here are the lineups for your Texas Rangers and Houston Astros –
TEXAS RANGERS: RHP Colby Lewis (1-0, 1.50)
- Leonys Martin CF
- Elvis Andrus SS
- Adrian Beltre 3B
- Prince Fielder DH
- Jake Smolinski RF
- Adam Rosales 1B
- Rougned Odor 2B
- Carlos Corporan C
- Delino DeShields LF
HOUSTON ASTROS: LHP Dallas Keuchel (1-0, –)
- Jose Altuve 2B
- George Springer RF
- Jed Lowrie SS
- Luis Valbuena 3B
- Evan Gattis DH
- Jason Castro C
- Colby Rasmus LF
- Marwin Gonzalez 1B
- Jake Marisnick CF
ON DECK FOR TOMORROW:
Texas Rangers LHP Ross Detwiler vs. Los Angeles Angels RHP Matt Shoemaker. You can catch the game on FOX Sports Southwest at 7:05 p.m. (CDT).