Possible Texas Rangers trade targets as winter meetings begin
Jun 24, 2015; Arlington, TX, USA; A view of the field during the game between the Texas Rangers and the Oakland Athletics at Globe Life Park in Arlington. The Athletics defeated the Rangers 8-2. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
Major League Baseball’s annual version of a swingers’ party, the winter meetings, is underway in Nashville. This week, the top brass for every team comes together in one place making free-agent signings and impactful trades easier to accommodate.
The Texas Rangers are not expected to be huge players on top-tier free agents due to the fact that the team already holds numerous heafty contracts (Prince Fielder, Elvis Andrus, Shin-Soo Ch00 and Cole Hamels). So if the Rangers are to make a significant change to the roster, that change will likely to come via trade.
More from Nolan Writin'
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Where do Texas Rangers prospects Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker stand after the DeGrom signing?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
The Rangers would love to rid themselves of at least one of the hefty contracts mentioned above (except Hamels) but it will be difficult to convince another team to take on the majority of the monetary responsibility of a $100 million-plus contract.
Therefore, Texas might be willing to dip into its farm system to upgrade its roster. Texas is rumored to be looking for an upgrade at catcher, a back of the rotation starting pitching and a right-handed hitter.
The following is a list of players to whom the Rangers have been linked. It should excite Texas fans if any of the following happen to play in Arlington next year.
Next: Jonathan Lucroy