Texas Rangers: Which of these five teams will land Jurickson Profar?
By Travis Koch
How badly do the Nationals want a second baseman?
It kind of feels like the Washington Nationals’ bubble has burst. They deeply disappointed in 2018 and it’s very likely they lose their long time superstar, Bryce Harper. But, they still have Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg. Make no mistake about it, the Nationals plan on competing for a championship in 2019.
That means they need a second baseman that can come in and contribute immediately. Assuming they don’t reel in Harper, they’ll need some offensive help to at least slightly cushion the loss of the 2015 MVP. Wilmer Difo, the Nats’ current second baseman, isn’t going to help much there. Difo hit just .230 a season ago, notching seven home runs and posting an OBP below .300.
Profar is an offensive asset that every team should want in their lineup. He may not compete for an All-Star bid, but he’ll certainly find ways to improve an offense. He walks, he puts the ball in play, he hits from both sides of the plate, and he hits for power, both gap to gap and over the fence. Profar can hit leadoff, third, fifth or ninth…his skill set is vast.
The Nationals may bring in someone with a more extensive track record like DJ LeMahieu or Scooter Gennett. A small sample of proven success is causing some hesitation for teams regarding Profar. We’ll see how they decide to play it.
Chance Profar lands with the Nationals: 20%
If you’ve been keeping track, I’ve loosely determined that there is a 55% chance Jurickson Profar is traded this offseason. That leaves a 45% chance that he remains with the Texas Rangers.