A few Texas Rangers have bought themselves more time
By Travis Koch
What a headache Rougned Odor is. He’s terrible about 85% of the time, but the other 15% he’s tremendous. Those percentages aren’t adding up for the Rangers. As the club looks to contend for a playoff spot in 2020, they can’t be messing around with a player who is only good 15% of the time.
Odor has become such a liability that the protective shield over his hefty contract has weakened. He MUST have a strong finish to the season or else Texas may have to do something drastic over the offseason. They can’t send him to the minors and they can’t afford to play him everyday if he’s routinely below the Mendoza line.
The Rangers could waive him, or they could toss his name into modest trade, in which they’ll surely have to eat the majority of his contract. They’ll do whatever they can to avoid both, but Odor has practically no credibility at this point. More than anyone on the current Texas Rangers team, Rougned Odor needs to go into the offseason with some serious momentum. He needs to leave positive thoughts in the heads of the front office representatives.