Could the Texas Rangers finally trade Joey Gallo?
A hot name in trade talks for the past few seasons, 2021 could definitely be the year the Rangers finally decide to part ways with their standout outfielder. He’s set to be a free agent after the 2022 season, and it does in fact look like the Rangers are going to be “sellers” at this year’s trade deadline.
Here are three potential suitors that could emerge moving forward:
Chicago White Sox
The White Sox are coming off back-to-back offseasons of major spending, and are currently nine games over .500, sat atop the American League Central.
Needless to say, they are going to be “buyers” this season.
More from Nolan Writin'
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Where do Texas Rangers prospects Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker stand after the DeGrom signing?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
Despite the White Sox early success this season, they’re operating with a not-so-great outfield situation at the moment. They’re currently playing former first baseman Andrew Vaughn out in left field, and Adam Eaton is nothing special in right.
Swapping out either of those players with Gallo would not only give the White Sox a major boost offensively, but it would also improve their defense quite dramatically. Gallo is coming off a Gold Glove winning season in 2020, and has looked pretty fluid this year as well.
With both Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez out for the foreseeable future, pressure feels pretty high for Chicago to make a significant addition to their outfield sometime this summer.