Batting 7th for your Texas Rangers – Willie Calhoun – DH (L)
Willie Calhoun endured another injury plagued season in Texas. In 2021, Calhoun only played in 75 games for the Rangers.
I am giving Calhoun one last chance to make an impact in the Rangers lineup. If he stays healthy, Calhoun has the potential to be an impact bat for the Rangers.
Calhoun has now played parts of five seasons of MLB with Texas. In 235 career games, Calhoun has a .247 (AVG), 31 (HR) and 101 (RBI).
For now, I have Calhoun as the full-time DH and hitting 7th in the order.
Batting 8th – Sam Huff – C (R)
In 2020, Sam Huff looked like the catcher of the future with Texas. During the pandemic-shortened season, Huff played 10 games with Texas and hit three home runs.
In 2021, an injury during Spring Training, derailed the idea of Huff catching at any level this year. While rehabbing his left hamstring, Huff primarily played 1B/DH at three different MILB levels.
In 61 games, Huff hit for a .246 (AVG), 16 (HR), and 36 (RBI).
During the 2021 Arizona Fall League, Huff started six games at catcher. If he is healthy in 2022, Huff will share catching duties with Jose Trevino and Jonah Heim.
Huff can also play 1B and DH, so expect Huff to be a full-time player with the Texas Rangers and bat 8th next year.
Batting 9th – Isiah Kiner-Falefa – 2B (R)
For the last two years Isiah Kiner-Falefa has been used at the top of the batting order with Texas.
This batting order shows no disrespect to Kiner-Falefa. With the signings of Marte, Story and Bryant, it is my opinion that Kiner-Falefa would be an excellent hitter in the #9 position.
Kiner-Falefa would ave protection by hitting just ahead of Marte, Story, Lowe and Garcia in this proposed Rangers batting order.
Batting Order/Position/2021 Stats
- 1- Starling Marte – CF – .310, 12 HR, 55 RBI, 47 SB (Oakland, MLB)
- 2- Trevor Story – SS – .251, 24 HR, 75 RBI, 20 SB (Colorado, MLB)
- 3- Nathaniel Lowe -1B – .266, 18 HR, 72 RBI, 8 SB
- 4- Adolis Garcia – RF – .244, 31 HR, 90 RBI, 16 SB
- 5- Kris Bryant – LF – .265, 25 HR, 73 RBI, 10 SB (CHC/SFG, MLB)
- 6- Josh Jung – 3B – .326, 19 HR, 61 RBI, 2 SB (AA/AAA)
- 7- Willie Calhoun – DH – .253, 6 HR, 25 RBI, 0 SB
- 8- Sam Huff – C – .246, 16 HR, 36 RBI, 0 SB (ROK/AA/AAA)
- 9- Isiah Kiner Falefa– 2B – .273, 8 HR, 53 RBI, 20 SB
Bench: Jose Trevino (C), Jonah Heim (C), Andy Ibanez (INF), DJ Peters (OF)
This lineup would be a big improvement over the lineup that finished the 2021 season for the Rangers. This lineup would be lethal because they would hit more home runs, score more runs and steal more bases than previous years.