Regardless of fault, there was clearly some disconnect between Marcus Semien and the Texas Rangers and it only made sense for the organization to part ways with the Gold Glove second baseman this winter.
After an award-filled 2023 season that ended with Semien and the Rangers winning a World Series, the infielder saw his numbers dip and last year, he recorded his lowest season WAR since the shortened 2020 season.
The Rangers spent the offseason cutting payroll and the first to go were players that were not performing to the standards and cost a little extra money than they were willing to pay. Semien's $26 million were on that list.
Something had to give, and that something was Semien
While on the surface, the move seemed to be more of a cost-saving measure for the Rangers, who were looking to shed payroll, the move might have had deeper motives. However, once the move was made, reports circulated of "tension" between the Rangers two star infielders: Semien and Corey Seager.
Several MLB insiders weighed in on offseason moves and one of those gaining stem recently is Semien's trade from Texas to Queens. The main theme of those takeaways was that something had to change and Texas chose Seager.
First look at Marcus Semien in the orange and blue 👀 pic.twitter.com/XpKcZIXJCB
— New York Mets (@Mets) February 14, 2026
Below is input from two executives via The Athletic on Semien's trade to New York:
- “I mean, you could probably blame both of them,” said an AL exec. “But whatever it was, you have to buy into the team first and foremost. I don’t give a (hoot) how good you are. And if you’re not willing to do that, then you’re going to be gone.”
- “Look, I respect him as a player,” said another exec. “He’s durable, and he’s a pro, and all that. But this deal is the Rangers saying they needed to get him out of there. So clearly, they chose Semien over Seager as the guy who had to go. It had clearly been an issue for a few years. Something needed to give. And it was him.”
It led to countless exposees on the topic this offseason and was eventually addressed by the 31-year-old Seager when he arrived at spring training earlier this week.
"That's just all speculation. We had a fine relationship. We both respect each other," Seager told reporters. "We were both professional and we knew how to go about our business and try to accomplish a goal. We did that in '23. You can't take that away from us."
Regardless, it was clear nothing would change unless the Rangers made a difficult decision. Ultimately, Texas chose to part ways with Semien in exchange for outfielder Brandon Nimmo. The move made sense — moving Semien instead of Seager preserved one of the lineup’s most productive bats, as Seager remains a key offensive force.
