Jake Smolinski is having a serious problem that I think we need to discuss this morning. It is a problem that needs to be addressed by the rest of the Texas Rangers team very quickly, because if the team is not careful his problem could become their problem. So what is the major problem that Jake Smolinski has, you ask? He doesn’t understand that his team is bad. No clue. None.
Since being called up to replace the struggling Michael Choice, Smolinski is 8-14 (.571) with 3 doubles and 4 RBI. That is just in 4 games. While the rest of the team struggles to be competitive, Jake Smolinski is treating his time with the Texas Rangers as an opportunity to shine, and boy is he shining so far.
More from Texas Rangers News
- Early 2023 MLB mock draft has Texas Rangers selecting an Ohtani-lite
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
Now we all know that he is not going to bat .571 for the season, but he is showing that he knows what to do with an opportunity when it is given to him, and that is make the most of it. I have been very impressed with the passion and drive that Jake Smolinski is showing so far at the major league level.
I don’t want everyone to think that the rest of the team is dispassionate, that is not true. Adrian Beltre, Rougned Odor, Leonys Martin and some others are also playing their hearts out, but none are being quite as successful in the last three games as Smolinski. I don’t know how long Jake will be with the major league club, but I really hope his attitude rubs off on the rest of the team!