The Jon Daniels and the Texas Rangers are big time sellers at the trade deadline this season. It appears that another name being mentioned is Colby Lewis. Due to the rash of injuries and the last place record they have no reason to trade up and more reasons to plan for next season.
More from Texas Rangers News
- Early 2023 MLB mock draft has Texas Rangers selecting an Ohtani-lite
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Martin Perez accepting the qualifying offer looking like solid deal for the Rangers
- 4 outfielders the Texas Rangers can still pursue this winter
The Texas Rangers currently have Colby Lewis under a one year contract worth about $2 million dollars. After his hip resurfacing surgery last year no one knew how’d it would react and how well he’d pitch this year. It wasn’t even known how soon he’d pitch with the Texas Rangers this season, but with the loss of Derek Holland and Matt Harrison it meant that they needed Lewis to be moved to the starting rotation.
It does come as a little bit of a surprise that his name is being talked about for a trade. He started off the season struggling a bit and after his horrible game against Los Angeles Angels when they basically took batting practice off of him and scored 13 runs (11 earned) over 2.1 innings many questioned if he’d make his next start.
But, after that horrible outing Lewis bounced back like nothing had happened. He’s pitched 3 times since then and only given up 7 earned runs and even picked up a win. He’s lowered his ERA down to 5.98, recorded back-to-back quality starts and recently had his longest out of the season at 7.0 innings.
Watch: Colby Lewis snag a ball behind the back
He’s had trouble keeping the ball down, but recently he’s been able to keep his command and locate his pitches. Lewis talked about his command after last night’s game and said he’s been working all season to learn how to pitch with the new hip. He said he’s starting to feel more comfortable with it and even Ron Washington has noticed the improvement. It also appears other clubs have taken notice.
As the trade deadline nears, at least one team has inquired about Lewis. Nothing official has been made yet about a possible trade, but if they do trade him it appears they’ll make sure it is the right thing for Colby Lewis and the Texas Rangers.
Notes on Lewis:
- 7 season with the Texas Rangers
- 51-50 record with 4.85 ERA
- Post season record of 4-1 with 2.34 ERA. Most post season wins for a Rangers
- Drafted by the Texas Rangers in 1999 in the 1st round
- Signed by Texas Rangers as a free agent in 2010