The Texas Rangers signed current second baseman Rougned Odor‘s younger brother, Rougned Jose Odor to a minor league deal.
Yes, yes, we all know there are a gazillion Odor family members named Rougned. Hence, I put his middle name in there. Texas Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine confirmed the news, as did Roogie.
Gerry Fraley of The Dallas Morning News reports that Lil Roogie was given a $300,000 signing bonus, $145,000 less than his brother. That’s because the Texas Rangers went over their bonus pool and have a limit on international signing bonuses until July 2.
More from Nolan Writin'
- Framework for a potential Max Fried trade to the Texas Rangers
- Early 2023 MLB mock draft has Texas Rangers selecting an Ohtani-lite
- 3 Texas Rangers outfield trade targets not named Bryan Reynolds
- Did Jacob deGrom really mean what he said at his Texas Rangers press conference?
- Where do Texas Rangers prospects Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker stand after the DeGrom signing?
The 17-year old Odor is also an infielder like his older brother, and if Lil Roogie’s scouting reports come back stating he has half of the raw talent as his older brother then we are all in for a treat in the years to come.
Texas Rangers fans can expect the Venezuela native to make his debut this summer in the Venezuela Summer League, which usually begins sometime in May.